When a tumour appears inside the skull, it is classified as a Brain tumour. Fatal if left untreated, this disease is caused by the abnormal multiplication of brain cells. The extent of cancer may be limited within the area of the brain or extend to lymphatic tissues, blood vessels, nerves, cranial glands, and the skull. Surgeons perform brain tumour surgery to treat this disorder. Neuro-experts specialise in providing speciality tertiary care for neurological disorders. Renowned as the best brain tumor surgery hospital in india, the hospital believes that early detection is the best cure.
Diagnosis of a Brain Tumour:
Healthcare experts believe that prompt action can save the patient’s life. Their diagnosis includes a neurologic exam along with MRI and CT scans. If a tumour is detected, they offer treatment options to the patient’s family. When the tests fail to see the type of tumour, the doctors perform a biopsy. However, these factors affect the treatment procedure:
- Age of the patient
- Health condition of the patient
- Type, location, and size of the tumour.
Types of Brain Tumours:
A swift and accurate diagnosis is the proper approach to treating brain tumours. The first step toward treatment is knowing the type of tumour the patient suffers from; the tumours are usually classified into the following types:
- Benign tumour: True to its name, it is non-cancerous. However, evaluation of its proximity to blood vessels, nerves, and brainstem determines its treatment process.
- Malignant tumour: Cancerous, the treatment of this tumour includes determining the primary or metastatic state of the tumour first.
- Metastatic tumour: When the source of the malignant tumour resides in another primary location, the tumour is called metastatic. This tumour spreads from the lungs, breast, colon, kidney, e, etc. and requires the primary diagnosis before the treatment.
Usually, the primary site is located in about 90% of Metastatic tumour patients.
What Causes Brain Tumours?
While the medical field has excelled in brain tumour surgery, the cause of primary brain tumours remains unknown. However, these factors make the human body vulnerable to them:
- Radiation: Cancer patients who have been exposed to radiotherapy, CT scans, and X-rays are prone to contracting brain tumours.
- Genetic diseases: Some genetic conditions like Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome, Li-Fraumeni syndrome, Turcot syndrome, and Neurofibromatosis are associated with abnormal cell growth.
- HIV or Aids patients: Low immunity increases the chances of developing a brain tumour.
Symptoms of Brain Tumor Diagnosed in Hospitals:
Patients afflicted with brain tumours complain of headaches, seizures, nausea, and weakness. In addition, the cranial nerve connected to the eye might receive damage-causing vision problems. Additionally, the patient may exhibit cognitive dysfunction like difficulty in recollection and comprehension. Furthermore, hearing loss, loose bladder, mood swings, and decreased consciousness are signs of a brain tumour. Such symptoms are offered a detailed examination in the best brain tumor surgery hospital in India.
Brain Tumor Treatments and Surgeries:
Brain tumour Surgery:
- Partial surgical removal of tumour: When the location of a tumour can’t be reached, or its removal can cause harm to the other areas of the brain, the tumour is removed partially.
- Complete surgical removal of the tumour: The entire tumour is removed without harming the vital brain tissue.
- Endovascular surgery: This procedure treats aneurysms where the blood vessel swells. Inserting and positioning an endovascular graft is helpful to avoid blood flowing into aneurysms.
Ionising radiation and particles and sophisticated electric techniques are used to treat the tumour. It is employed on malignant neoplasms.
This treatment includes peacock therapy, gamma knife, and linear accelerator-based treatments.
Chemical agents and drugs that affect the tumour are used.
Steroids are helpful to decrease brain swelling, while anticonvulsants help prevent seizures. Pain medicine is also used.
Wait & Watch Approach:
- Benign tumours: Either removed entirely through surgery or left partially to be removed through gamma therapy or chemotherapy. In addition, slow-growing and inactive benign tumours are regularly monitored.
- Malignant tumours: Malignant tumours are subjected to the complete process of threefold surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. After surgical removal, chemotherapy and radiotherapy slow the growth of new tumour cells. Advanced radiotherapy at the best hospital for Brain tumour surgery in India ensures fewer side effects.
The Expertise of Indian Hospitals in Brain Tumour Surgery:
Indian hospitals usually have a speciality tertiary unit that treats neurological diseases. They have Intraoperative MRI in the array of treatments they offer. Neurology centres of the hospitals have collected a good reputation in North India, with a significant presence in Delhi and Dehradun. These institutes are operated by a milieu of Neuro-experts who join hands to create a tailored plan for each patient. Their Swift and accurate diagnosis and thorough treatment have saved countless lives, making some of them the best hospital for Brain tumour Surgery in India.