Uber and Lyft are two of the biggest ride-sharing companies in the country. They allow drivers to connect with passengers via smartphone apps. While these services provide convenience, they also come with risks.
When you hire a driver through a third party, you are not always protected from liability. To ensure your safety, you should consider hiring an attorney in Tampa for Uber and Lyft injury accidents before signing a contract with a driver.
Insurance proof is mandatory
Many accidents involve drunk driving, distracted driving, speeding, and other unsafe behaviors. These issues often result in serious injuries, such as broken bones, head trauma, and even death.
- Most states require both car owners and drivers to carry auto insurance.
- If they don’t have adequate insurance, they could face serious problems.
- Even though Uber and Lyft say that their drivers are protected by their personal auto insurance policy, they are required to provide proof of insurance coverage before accepting a ride request.
Uber and Lyft drivers are independent contractors who aren’t covered under their employer’s workers’ compensation insurance policies which include health insurance, retirement plans, paid vacations, sick leave, etc. They also lack protection under federal labor laws. It means that if they are injured while driving for these companies, they won’t receive benefits from their employer.
What is causing a boom in these services?
Uber and Lyft are both growing at an incredible rate. The ride-sharing service has become a household name and now operates in over 100 cities across North America. In addition to their reputation for being safe, reliable, and affordable, Uber and Lyft also offer perks such as free rides during rush hour or discounted fares for students.
What does hiring an attorney mean?
- Hiring a lawyer means you will pay them to represent you in court.
- They will come to your home, office, or wherever else you prefer.
- They will talk to witnesses, collect evidence, and negotiate settlements with insurance companies.
- They are paid if you win your case. If you lose, you will owe them their fees.
Cost of hiring an attorney
It is important to remember that hiring a personal injury attorney in Tampa is not free. In some states, you may even be required to pay a filing fee before you can file your lawsuit. The cost of hiring an attorney varies from state to state, but typically ranges between $200 and $800 per hour.
How will an attorney help you in your case?
If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by an Uber or Lyft driver, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who understands the laws governing the operation of these companies.
- An experienced lawyer can advise you about your legal options and fight for compensation for your damages.
- They will take care of things such as preparing your case for trial, gathering witness statements, negotiating settlements with insurance companies, and much more.
- They also have experience dealing with these types of situations. For example, he or she knows how to deal with insurance adjusters and how to prepare a settlement offer.
In 2016, over 2 million crashes occurred due to distracted driving. It has led to several lawsuits against ride services such as Uber and Lyft. These companies often argue they cannot control what drivers do behind the wheel because it’s outside of their scope. They claim that the drivers are responsible for any damages incurred during the trip, but the courts have decided that the drivers are employees of the company and therefore, Uber and Lyft are legally responsible for injuries and deaths caused by their drivers.